Yep, it's true you CAN make vegan wings! Our Cauliflower Buffalo Wings recipe also includes a scrumptious non-dairy cashew ranch dip. Yum-o!
Eating healthy doesn't mean you have to give up your favorite foods – sometimes you can even give them an upgrade. Oh my goodness, we adore these Cauliflower Buffalo Wings! All the great flavors of wings, but with zero guilt. These are lower in calories but definitely not on flavor.
We've used the classic buffalo sauce and even “battered” the cauliflower with an easy, gluten-free mix of garbanzo bean flour and water. That's right – this recipe is gluten-free AND vegan. So load up your plate and get ready to watch some football with your “wings” in hand.
These recipes are part of one of our very FAVE products, Fresh Forward. We created Fresh Forward to be a follow-up to our Fresh Start 21-Day meal plan in response to the request for more healthy recipes. The recipes are 100% vegetarian (and mostly vegan), loaded with veggies, and rawkin' flavors. Seriously, every single one is absolutely delicious. We included recipes for green smoothies, snacks (cookie dough balls!), appetizers (sweet potato nachos!), entrees (tostadas!), and even dessert (key lime pudding!).
If you want to check out Fresh Forward (and we know you do!) click here.
p.s. If you're already a fan of Fresh Forward or if you felt inspired to get it and cook your way through the recipes, we'd love to hear your story! Click here to share your experiences with us.
Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
- 1 pieces medium head cauliflower chopped into bite-size
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil*
- 2/3 cup Frank's hot sauce**
- Celery and carrot sticks for serving
- Cashew Ranch Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
1) Preheat oven to 450ºLine a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, water, garlic powder, and salt. Whisk until smooth and well-combined.
3) Place cauliflower pieces into the batter and make sure each piece is well-coated, and arrange the pieces on the prepared baking sheet.
4) Bake for 15 minutes. Halfway through baking, turn cauliflower over for even baking.
5) While cauliflower is baking, stir melted coconut oil (or butter) and hot sauce together in another large bowl. When cauliflower is done, transfer to the bowl with the sauce and toss well to coat each piece with the sauce. Place the coated cauliflower back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
6) Serve the cauliflower with the veggie sticks and Cashew Ranch Dipping Sauce.
*Butter or ghee can be substituted for the melted coconut oil
**Can sub another hot sauce of choice that—preferably preservative free (with chiles, vinegar, salt, etc.).
Cashew Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch paprika
1) Place cashews in a medium bowl. Squeeze 2 tablespoons lemon juice over the top. Add enough water to cover by a few inches. Let soak 1-4 hours. Drain and rinse well.
2) Place the soaked cashews, the remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/4 cup fresh water, a good pinch of sea salt, pepper, dill, garlic, and paprika in a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy. Stop and scrape down sides as needed. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice, if needed. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.