Cold and flu season is upon us once again. The beginnings of a cold – the congestion, achy body and head, runny nose – always have me reaching for a green smoothie. But once that cold has taken residence, you just have to kind of ride it out. Bleh. One of the most uncomfortable parts of being sick is chest and sinus congestion. We've partnered with Plant Therapy for this DIY Natural Vapor Chest Rub made with their top-quality essential oils.
I don't buy a vapor chest rub anymore—I make it! It's easy to make, but the real benefit comes from knowing you are using something natural rather than a concoction full of unsafe chemicals and other icky things. Our DIY Natural Vapor Chest Rub uses 100% natural extra virgin coconut oil, shea butter, and essential oils. It's safe and effective. (Note: don't use on infants without first consulting with a healthcare professional!)
We love Plant Therapy essential oils because they are 100% pure, natural, and of the highest quality. In fact, Plant Therapy works directly with Robert Tisserand, a world renowned essential oil expert, and adheres to the strictest standards of quality in the essential oil industry.
Plant Therapy oils are selected from the producer after being vetted and the oil(s) tested 3-5 times for purity before being bottled in the Southern Idaho facility. Each bottle contains a tracking number that corresponds with information that is available on the website so consumers can see the testing results for themselves. All of this attention to detail and dedication to quality means that you are getting the very best essential oils on the market.
Let's break down the ingredients:
Extra virgin coconut oil serves as a carrier oil, but is also very moisturizing and soothing to the skin.
Shea butter is also moisturizing, but gives the mixture a thicker texture so it's not too greasy.
To make the Natural Vapor Chest Rub, simply melt the coconut oil and shea butter together and stir in the essential oils. Transfer to a jar or other resealable container and store in a cool, dry place. It will keep a fairly long time – I think we've used the same batch for five years, but just to be sure only make one batch at a time. It will last for the whole cold weather season and beyond.
To use, remove a small amount from the jar with clean hands. Rub in palms and apply gently to the chest area. Cover lightly. We recommend wearing an old t-shirt to prevent the oils from staining bedding or other fabrics and surfaces.
DIY Natural Vapor Chest Rub with Essential Oils
Ditch the nasty chemicals and make your own vapor chest rub to soothe and help ease congestion. Made with top quality essential oils, coconut oil, and shea butter.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons shea butter, unscented
- 10-12 drops Eucalyptus Oil lots! (for ages 3+, use only 3 drops for children)
- 10-12 drops Peppermint Oil lots (for ages 3+, use only 3 drops for children)
- 4 drops Rosemary Oil for use in ages 10+
- 4 drops Cinnamon Oil when making to use for children, use cinnamon leaf instead
In a double boiler, gently melt coconut oil and shea butter. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
Stir in the essential oils. Pour into a clean container with tight-fitting lid. Allow to solidify and cool completely before using.
Store in a cool, dry place for up to six months. To use rub a small amount between the palms to soften and apply to the chest as needed.
- Use caution when making this for use on small children.
- The oils should be used in smaller amounts for greater dilution, and some should be completely omitted in favor of other oils. Plant Therapy carries numerous kid-safe oils that can be substituted.
- Eucalyptus and peppermint oils should only be used in ages 3+ and in very small amounts.
- Do not use rosemary oil for children younger than 10 years.
- If making for children, omit the cinnamon bark oil.
- Other oils that can be beneficial for a children's vapor rub are: lavender, tea tree, spruce, and pine.