I’m a big advocate of knowing what goes into your body. I like to read the labels of everything that I eat and drink and then decide if I'm gonna go for it or not. Yet water can be a tricky one to read the label on… especially when it comes from your tap. Rather than chance it, we got a Berkey Water Purification system 5 years ago and I'm always getting questions about it. So I thought today would be a great time to break it down for you (and share a new recipe too!).
What's in the water you drink?
Most of you reading this are fortunate enough to have the cleanest water on the planet, yet it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement—especially when it's our health on the line. I don't write this to freak you out but rather to educate you on why I believe purified water is important.
Did you know that the average municipal water source contains:
- Liquified chlorine
- Fluorosilicic acid
- Aluminium sulphate
- Calcium hydroxide
- Sodium silicofluoride
I don't know what any of those are, yet I do know the chemical breakdown of water is just Hydrogen and Oxygen. So what's going on?! Also, depending on where you live and if you have well or city water, you could also be ingesting the following:
- Fluorine compounds
- Trihalomethanes (THMs)
- Salts of: arsenic, radium, aluminum, copper, lead, mercury, cadmium, barium
The town I live in has chlorine and fluoride added to the water. I can literally smell the chlorine when we run the water from the faucet. It's crazy! While the Environmental Protection Agency regulates municipal tap water and many stay within the guidelines, it doesn't mean you are just drinking H20.
Why I started purifying my water
I grew up in California and lived there until i was 28. We packed up the kids and moved to the sunshine state of Florida and have settled into a small quiet town called Brooksville. I didn’t realize how different tap water could be until I moved to our new home. Something didn’t taste right or smell right, so I started investigating like Veronica Mars.
I quickly learned that the “funny taste” was the chloride + fluoride treatment in the local water supply. Fluoride is a treatment that has been banned in many European countries. Say what?!
At my last dentist appointment, I was given a fluoride treatment. I don’t have a problem with the dentist treating my teeth with fluoride, in fact, I’m a big advocate for healthy teeth and gums. I did try avoiding fluoride in my toothpaste and we all ended up with cavities at our next visit, so I decided it just wasn't gonna work for us.
However, I'm pretty sure I was NOT made to ingest fluoride with my recommended 8 glasses of water per day. I decided that we would use a water filter to eliminate as many chemicals as we could from our water.
5 Reasons why I use a Berkey
I started using Berkey water filters a few years ago. I had tried a Brita but was replacing them so often it was getting so expensive and annoying. We also had a fridge filter and that was also expensive to replace. I felt like there had to be another way to get clean water at a reasonable price. And there was!
1) I needed a water filter that was economical. The Royal Berkey costs around $300, so you may be wondering why I went with this option. The answer is all in the filters. While other filters like my old Brita needed to have a replacement every 3-6 months, the two Black Berkey filters will purify 6,000 gallons before needing replacement. I don’t know may people who drink more than a gallon per day, which means it will be well over a decade or two before you need to replace the filters.
2) You will 100% notice a difference in the taste. Not only is it clean, but it tastes good! Many other filters out there don't offer much of a taste difference, but Berkey filters seem like they completely remove the bitter aftertaste of added chemicals.
3) It’s the easiest filter to use. Simply pour water into the top chamber and viola, the water filters down to the bottom chamber and you have clean drinking water. What is even better, is that it uses zero electricity!
4) More than 99% of the harmful contaminants are gone. It feels good drinking water that is so clean without using harsh processes to get there.
5) The fluoride that your water once contained is gone! Since it really isn’t necessary for your health and well-being to be in your drinking water, you’ll feel better knowing that your Berkey Water filter elimates 95% of the fluoride in your city’s water (as long as your filtration system includes the pf2 fluoride filter attachments).
My Berkey sits on my counter and is a lovely stainless steel that blends into my kitchen. I love the fact that I only have to change the filter every few years and my family has clean water to consume. Knowing that I don’t have to add that to my to-do list is a relief!
Where you can buy a Berkey Water Purifier
Are you ready to start drinking better tasting and better for you water?
What makes Berkey better than the rest is the fact that they meet water purification standards by eliminating 99.9999999% (a.k.a. A LOT) of pathogenic bacteria. I decided a long time ago that if I’m going to make healthy changes for my family, I was no longer going to wish I bought the best, but that I would, in fact, get the best.
Now, here's a recipe that we made along our good friends from Berkey:
Berkey Berry Smoothie
This antioxidant rich smoothie bowl is great for those trying to cut back on natural sugars for health desires or dietary needs. All fruits are lower on the GI index, yet packed with tons of delicious flavors. The squeeze of lemon really brightens the flavors and aids in digestion.
- 2 cup spinach fresh
- 1 cup filtered water (Berkey is perfect!)
- 1 cup peaches frozen
- 1 cup blueberries frozen
- 1 cup strawberries frozen
- 2 tbs lemon juice fresh
Blend spinach and water together first.
Add remaining ingredients and blend again. If smoothie gets stuck, use a tamper to push ingredients down to get it moving again in the blender.
1. Pour into a bowl and top with any extra fruits or nuts you have on hand.
Want a chance to win a Berkey Water Purifier?
I'm giving one away the Berkey Royal in the month of October. Simply go here to enter. Good luck!
How is your local drinking water?
I'd love to know where you live, how the water is in your area and if you use anything to filter it. Comment below and let me know… I'm super curious.