5 Green Smoothie Tips

green smoothie tips

5 Green Smoothie Tips for Beginners

Hey there rawkstar! We've got a few important green smoothie tips to help you get started with the green smoothie lifestyle. This is the good stuff. The stuff we wish we knew about when we first starting blending and drinking our greens.

5 Green Smoothie Tips to Get You Started

number 1Follow the 60/40 formula. When you’re making your first few green smoothies, don't just throw things in the blender. Chances are, it’ll taste nasty if you wing it right out of the gate. To save you a few smoothie-fails, bust out those cute lil’ measuring cups learn how to make your own green smoothie.

SGS_numbers_2Blend in stages to avoid leafy chunks. Chewing your green smoothie is no fun! To get a “smooth” green smoothie experience, blend up your leafy greens and liquid-base first. Then add your remaining fruits and blend again.

SGS_numbers_3Ditch the ice and freeze some fruits. Want your green smoothie to be extra chilly? Freeze your favorite fruits like ripe bananas, grapes, pineapple or berries. This is also a great way to not waste ripe fruits (like those brown bananas on your counter). You can also freeze your leafy greens in a freezer-safe bag. Just make sure to add your frozen greens straight to the blender (don’t defrost these fragile lil’ guys).

SGS_numbers_4Use raw natural sweeteners. Add naturally sweet fruits to any smoothie that tastes bitter or a bit too “green.” By sticking with naturally sweet fruits like bananas, mango, apples, pears or pitted date, we avoid artificial sweeteners and processed sugars.

SGS_numbers_5Make smoothies ahead for the perfect fast food. We know life can get crazy busy— especially in the morning. That’s why we think green smoothies are the healthiest fast food for people who are constantly on the go. You can prep your green smoothies and blend the night before and store it in your fridge (up to 2 days). Use an airtight lid to limit oxidation and keep it as fresh as possible. When ready to drink, give it a good shake before you open.

5tips

If you follow these five green smoothie tips, we pinky promise your green smoothies will be love at first sip! Want more tips and resources to help you become a green smoothie rawkstar? Check out this resource page.

220 comments

megan 7.30.2015 at 3:07 pm

I am new, looking for recepies that are good for diabetics.
Anyone have any they wanna share.
Thanks.
Megan

SGS Rawkstar 7.31.2015 at 8:28 pm

Hi Megan,

Yay! We’re so excited to have you join us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies and the natural sugars are okay for their eating plan. Here is a link to our favorite low sugar fruits.

Hope this helps!

Sarah 7.17.2015 at 6:14 pm

I had gotten into a smoothie habit because they’re yummy and quick. I am now just getting into green smoothies.
mine turned out great! I put in ingredients I had on hand:

2 c spinach (lots of goodness in there)
1 c strawberry banana yogurt (has sugar but also fantastic probiotics)
1 ripe banana
1/4 to 1/2 cup oats (the oats really help satisfy my appetite and gives it texture)
2 T coconut oil (since spinach has oil soluble vitamins)

YUM!!!

SGS Rawkstar 7.17.2015 at 8:09 pm

Hi Sarah,

Cheers to getting into the green smoothie habit! Rawk on!

Ashley 7.30.2015 at 12:06 am

What kind of oats do you use?

SGS Rawkstar 7.30.2015 at 7:36 am

Hi Ashley,

We love reaching for rolled oats! 🙂

Ariana Hakim 7.3.2015 at 1:06 pm

Hi!

First off, I am absolutely in love with this website and all of the recipes! I have tried a fair amount and i loved every single one of them. Just one question; When I blend Kale i usually cannot get rid of the leafy pieces in my smoothie. It doesn’t really blend as well as spinach. I always blend the leafy greens and liquid first, as instructed, but with kale, I always end up with the leafy pieces. Any suggestions? Thank you so much:)

SGS Rawkstar 7.3.2015 at 7:43 pm

Hi Ariana,

Great question! Before blendin’ kale we suggest removing any thick stems, which can be tough on your blender. We also suggest blendin’ your leafy greens + liquid base first, and then adding your remaining ingredients. Another great tip is to use at least one frozen fruit, to help breakdown the kale, and ensure your smoothie is chilled to perfection!

Hope these help!

Marie 8.17.2015 at 11:17 am

Try frozen kale from frozen vegetable section in supermarket.

SGS Rawkstar 8.17.2015 at 12:42 pm

Hi Marie,

Thanks for the tip! We prefer to freeze our own – learn how here!!

Angel 8.17.2015 at 1:39 pm

I use the baby kale that is triple washed and in the salad section of the supermarket. It blends up great!

SGS Rawkstar 8.18.2015 at 12:49 pm

Hi Angel,

Yum! We love blendin’ with baby kale! It’s mild flavor is perfect for green smoothies! Thanks for the suggestion!

Brenda Mandel 6.30.2015 at 10:19 am

Hello, what do you think about blending leafy greens with some water (so that the blender can blend it) and then freezing them into ice cubes to be added into smoothies later. Would this affect the nutrition of the greens? How long would they last in the freezer this way? Please let me know!

SGS Rawkstar 6.30.2015 at 7:23 pm

Hi Brenda,

Great question! While we prefer to freeze our leafy greens prior to blendin’ (http://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/freeze-leafy-greens), a large number of our community members have had great success in freezing blended greens! Greens stay good in the freezer for a couple of months instead of a week in the fridge.

Cheers 🙂

Tarnya 6.3.2015 at 7:22 pm

Hi, I have just made my first green smoothie using the Green Smoothie formula, but not green, instead a nasty brown colour. i used 2 cups kale, 2 cups coconut water and 1 cup each of pineapple, mango and raspberries with Chia added, the taste wasnt fantastic either, what did I do wrong?

SGS Rawkstar 6.4.2015 at 5:25 am

Hi Tarnya,

This is usually because of the dark fruits that are being used in the smoothie. If you’re new to green smoothies, and looking for a bright green + delicious recipe, try Beginner’s Luck! It’s still my favorite!

Lisa 5.14.2015 at 8:14 pm

Asking about how to get the fresh start diet as I have paid and can’t get into the recipes and diet. Only can read the 50 some pages

SGS Rawkstar 5.15.2015 at 6:31 am

Hi Lisa,

I’m so sorry to hear you’re having issues accessing the cleanse! We’re green smoothie lovin’ rawkstars alright, but technology is not always on our side. Send a quick message to our team at the link below, and they’ll get you set up ASAP!

Kate C. 5.4.2015 at 4:08 pm

Hi, this is my first go around with green smoothies. I’ve tried the raw diet in the past but my hectic lifestyle threw that out the window. I have 3 kids and want to try to get them involved with having a smoothie for a snack. I don’t do processed foods in my house. But being a busy mom we may find the fast food every once in a while since we are out so often. My question is if its okay to replace my kids meals with a smoothie as well, or should i just use them as a snack? Also, I made my first smoothie for lunch, I used 1 cup kale, 1 cup spinach, 2 cups coconut milk, and 3 cups apples and after all blended up i drank a full 16 oz glass and still had another full 16 oz glass left. Can i freeze my leftovers? Or just refrigerate for up to 2 days? I would like to switch it up everyday, so tomorrow i dont want to drink the same thing.:-) Thanks so much!

SGS Rawkstar 5.4.2015 at 5:28 pm

Hi Kate,

For little ones we suggest using green smoothies as a snack! Here are some of our tips for sharing green smoothies with little rawkstars…

Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to two days in an airtight container. We suggest adding a little bit of lemon to help preserve all of the delicious fruits + leafy greens. You can freeze any leftovers too, and just thaw them in the fridge overnight. With both methods, some separation is natural, so just give it a quick shake before enjoying!

Cheers 🙂

Becky 5.1.2015 at 5:01 am

Hi,

Is it possible to use tinned peaches/pineapple etc. in the smoothies? I love to make smoothies but unfortunately have a tight budget, and tinned fruit is obviously cheaper if you think it would work 🙂

SGS Rawkstar 5.1.2015 at 6:57 am

Hi Becky,

We prefer to use fresh or frozen fruit, but understand that’s not always possible for everyone! If using tinned fruit, be aware that they usually contain extra sugar, even those stored in natural juice.

sheena 4.30.2015 at 6:25 am

Hi, do you know of any websites you can purchase wholesale frozen fruit from? I am on week 2 of the greensmoothies and it is very costly.
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

SGS Rawkstar 4.30.2015 at 7:57 am

Hi Sheena,

If you are new to eating a lot of fruits and veggies, your grocery bill may be a little shocking with the extra fresh and frozen produce purchases. Overtime, you will eliminate a lot of processed food items which will in turn bring your grocery bill back to normal. But here are a few quick tips to saving money on produce.

-Make a shopping list: Making a weekly meal planning list that covers what you will eat on a daily basis will help you only buy what you need. Make sure to include snacks in your meal plan and shopping list, too.

-Buy seasonal fruit and veggies: Purchasing produce is in season and is typically cheaper. And if you see a good deal on fresh fruits and veggies, purchase in bulk and freeze for future smoothies.

-Buy out of season fruits frozen: Costco and Sam’s Club sell large bags of organic frozen fruit at good prices. If your freezer can accommodate bags in bulk, take advantage of making these purchases.

-Buy from local fruit stands, farmer’s markets and CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture): For the tastiest and most fresh organic produce, buy locally. Not only has the produce been grown and harvested close to home, but buying locally also helps our environment by eliminating the time and resources needed to deliver. Visit, http://www.LocalHarvest.org to find your local farm, farmers markets, and other local food sources.

-Follow the EWG’s Dirty Dozen: This list will help you know what is worth getting organic and what you can buy conventional.

Hope this helps! 🙂

misty 4.29.2015 at 9:39 am

Hi i just want to say I am excited to have found this site I am starting this for health reason but weightloss will be a perk I have frozen collar greens and frozen mango’s would they be ok in a green smoothy
thanks again I can not wait to use my new magic bullet and get to making smoothy s

SGS Rawkstar 4.29.2015 at 3:51 pm

Hi Misty,

We’re so glad you’re joining us in the green smoothie lifestyle! Our co-founder Jadah lost over 25 pounds in three months by replacing one meal with a green smoothie!

We love blendin’ with collard greens! Like their other cruciferous family members, collard greens are great cancer fighters. They are also pretty good at helping your body digest foods properly with all the fiber inside.

We also love frozen fruit, especially mango!

Happy blendin! And let us know if you have any questions along the way!

Cheers 🙂