5 Green Smoothie Tips

green smoothie tips

5 Green Smoothie Tips for Beginners

Hey there rawkstar! We've got a few important green smoothie tips to help you get started with the green smoothie lifestyle. This is the good stuff. The stuff we wish we knew about when we first starting blending and drinking our greens.

5 Green Smoothie Tips to Get You Started

number 1Follow the 60/40 formula. When you’re making your first few green smoothies, don't just throw things in the blender. Chances are, it’ll taste nasty if you wing it right out of the gate. To save you a few smoothie-fails, bust out those cute lil’ measuring cups learn how to make your own green smoothie.

SGS_numbers_2Blend in stages to avoid leafy chunks. Chewing your green smoothie is no fun! To get a “smooth” green smoothie experience, blend up your leafy greens and liquid-base first. Then add your remaining fruits and blend again.

SGS_numbers_3Ditch the ice and freeze some fruits. Want your green smoothie to be extra chilly? Freeze your favorite fruits like ripe bananas, grapes, pineapple or berries. This is also a great way to not waste ripe fruits (like those brown bananas on your counter). You can also freeze your leafy greens in a freezer-safe bag. Just make sure to add your frozen greens straight to the blender (don’t defrost these fragile lil’ guys).

SGS_numbers_4Use raw natural sweeteners. Add naturally sweet fruits to any smoothie that tastes bitter or a bit too “green.” By sticking with naturally sweet fruits like bananas, mango, apples, pears or pitted date, we avoid artificial sweeteners and processed sugars.

SGS_numbers_5Make smoothies ahead for the perfect fast food. We know life can get crazy busy— especially in the morning. That’s why we think green smoothies are the healthiest fast food for people who are constantly on the go. You can prep your green smoothies and blend the night before and store it in your fridge (up to 2 days). Use an airtight lid to limit oxidation and keep it as fresh as possible. When ready to drink, give it a good shake before you open.

5tips

If you follow these five green smoothie tips, we pinky promise your green smoothies will be love at first sip! Want more tips and resources to help you become a green smoothie rawkstar? Check out this resource page.

220 comments

Frieda 4.14.2013 at 6:41 pm

Do the smoothies work the same without the superfood? I tried the smoothie with the super foods and it taste horrible.

JR 4.10.2013 at 4:01 pm

Hey folks! I was recently introduced to this marvelous site. I find it uber helpful- Thank you!

As to the liquid bases, I have been using Naked brand juices occasionally. Specifically Green Monster, Blue something and the Mango. They have no added sugars, and from the ingredients list, nothing I do not like.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thoughtful and insightful input is appreciated.

Jadah and Jen 4.10.2013 at 8:02 pm

Hi JR! Those juices are similar to what we try to encourage people to do here, but they don’t always include the whole fruit like we do in our smoothies. The fleshy parts of the fruits have lots to offer when it comes to nutrition, which is just one reason we prefer smoothies. Hope this helps!

Monica 4.7.2013 at 4:43 pm

Hello, I have loved week 1 and look forward to green smoothies even after the 30 days. One thing I noticed with the week 2 shopping lists and recipes is they seem to be aimed at making it the day of with nothing frozen. For week 1 we bagged up 7 days of recipes and put in the freezer, it was so much easier. Can I still do this with week 2 and going forward? Is there any nutritional difference in blending up frozen ingredients vs fresh?
Thanks!

Jen H 4.8.2013 at 7:19 pm

Hi Monica— you can totally prep your green smoothies for the week! Just cut up, measure and store in the baggies and you will be good to go! We just stressed it early in the challenge, but it applies to the whole thing. If prepping for the week helps you out go for it! The nutritional value is so simliar if you freeze ripe produce, so don’t worry about that. My only issue with using frozen fruit is that they sweetness and flavor isn’t as strong. I sometimes defrost them first to help sweeten it up a little.

Julie 4.5.2013 at 4:05 pm

The Almond milk I use has more calcium than milk. Just an FYI. And since I rarely drink milk, the added calcium is a benefit to me. The greens serve to further enhance that. I think anything we can do to improve our eating habits is a plus.

Anise 3.23.2013 at 1:52 am

Wow after reading the reviews, this will be a healthy experience.

Raederle 3.19.2013 at 2:39 pm

Great tips. One note of inaccuracy however: the bone-building calcium in green smoothies comes from greens. To say the nut-milks or coconut-milk is bone-building is completely inaccurate. Nuts and coconut are high in phosphorus and other components that are actually depleting for your calcium reserves (your bones). This isn’t a problem if we’re talking about half a cup of almond milk in a green smoothie. However, it is a problem when people eat a cup of almond milk over a grain-based or nut-based granola and think they’re building their bones when they are actually depleting them. Very few seeds actually have a mineral balance that is good for bones. I have more information about this on my website if you’re interested. ~ Raederle

Helen Luczak 7.6.2013 at 10:40 pm

I agree with you Raederle. The calcium and a host of other vitamins and minerals and even protein are in the greens. I follow Victoria Boutenko’s recommendation regarding using only water with fruits and non-starchy vegetables (primarly leafy greens but celery is an example of a non-starch vegetable which can be used). This is to ensure that there is complete digestion and assimilation. Some people may notice that the fiber in their green smoothies is a bit too much for them. It’s a good idea to start off with simple recipes not mixing too many fruits in one drink, for example. Having said that, I tend to make more complicated recipes with an assortment of greens and fruit which for most people reaps a lot of compliments. But I am mindful that occasionally it’s simply “too much” for people who haven’t dealt with their candida or replenished intestinal flora.

Mallory 2.26.2013 at 1:54 pm

Hey! First I want to say I love your website 🙂
For the 2 weeks before my vacation to Florida I am doing a fast where I only eat green smoothies. My family thinks I am crazy, but I am very excited. I want to do this because I think it is important to practise self control. Also, spiritually, it is an important skill to be able to force yourself to do something you might not particularily enjoy. Anyway, I want to be safe, so are there any tips/pointers/encouragements that I should remember while doing this fast?

Jon 2.21.2013 at 8:40 am

What would be a good smoothie that includes spinach, frozen mixed berries and some other type of fruit? How much of each as well would be helpful.

Possible to throw some type of protein in as well?

Jen H 2.22.2013 at 10:42 am

Hey Jon. The Berry Protein Bash would be a good one or even this one. You can use frozen or fresh fruit in smoothies— but I like to defrost my frozen fruit a little before I blend it to give it a stronger taste and not so chilly.

Jodi 2.20.2013 at 7:49 am

Hi Ladies,

I stumbled across your lovely website just this morning. I have started the long journey of 100+ lb weight loss, and have been looking for as much help as I can get. I have been having some issues with getting in enough veggies, and have been considering making green smoothies. Your beginner recipe looks to be right up my ally 🙂 Anyway, I have a Kitchenaid immersion blender (This one http://www.kitchenaid.com/content.jsp?pageName=Handblender, with all the fun attachments ) and I just want to make sure that this will suffice before I go an buy all the ingredients!

Thanks

Jen H 2.25.2013 at 12:34 pm

Hey Jodi— I just saw this message. I’m sorry! You can definitely use an immersion blender! Yet you will have to tweak things in recipes to compensate. Like probably no raw nuts (you could try soaking them overnight and see if that works) and you will probably want to defrost your frozen fruit before blending it up. I personally do this with my Vitamix too because I like my smoothies not super chilly and to have more flavor. Hope you give it a shot and congrats on taking a positive step towards a healthy you. Please share with us your journey— we would love to be a part of it Jodi.

ansa 2.18.2013 at 6:16 am

hello,
i want to loose my weight.can i use these smoothies for this purpose and how much in a day i will use it.please reply,i want to have 30 days challenge.can i use frozen spinach .please reply meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Jen H 2.18.2013 at 3:20 pm

Hi Ansa. My friend Jadah used green smoothies as a meal replacement (breakfast and sometimes lunch) and lost over 20 pounds. What tends to happen when you drink green smoothies is that you crave fresh, raw ingredients (You don’t desire fast food or processed food anymore). By truly nourishing your body with fresh fruits and vegetables, you will be less hungry and tend to lose unwanted pounds. You might want to count calories still if you think you might have a problem watching what you eat, but green smoothies are a great way to begin your new lifestyle. Hope this helps you out. Glad to have you here!

1 2 3 11